- A running instance (i.e. a Windows or Linux VM) that has been customized or otherwise re-configured needs to be persisted into an image file to capture its current state.
- Platform9 Managed OpenStack - v4.0 and Higher
- Stop the instance from either the UI or CLI.
$ openstack server stop <instance UUID>
- Take a snapshot of the running instance.
$ openstack server image create --name <snapshot name> <instance UUID>
- List the images and identify the UUID of the snapshot using the name given during creation.
$ openstack image list
- Download the snapshot.
# glance image-download --file <FILE> <snapshot UUID>
- Verify the format of the downloaded image.
# qemu-img info <FILE>
- If the image format is not qcow2, convert it by referring to the OpenStack image conversion guide.