- Instance goes into "ERROR" state after failing to start.
- Running "openstack server show <uuid>" command shows an instance fault such as the following.
Error: Instance <uuid> could not be found on hypervisor.
- Platform9 Managed OpenStack: All versions
There is not a single scenario which could lead to this error, but it can sometimes occur after a failed instance migration.
- Determine which host Nova states the instance resides on.
# openstack server show <instance_uuid>
- Check if the instance is running on the host obtained from the previous output.
# virsh list --all | grep <instance_uuid>
- Confirm that the Instance XML file still exists on the hypervisor.
# ls -l /etc/libvirt/qemu/<INSTANCE_UUID>.xml
# ls -l /opt/pf9/data/instances/<INSTANCE_UUID>/cfg-<INSTANCE_UUID>.xml
- If the XML file resides on the host, redefine the instance using virsh.
# virsh define /etc/libvirt/qemu/<INSTANCE_UUID>.xml
- Reset the state of the instance.
# openstack server set --state active <instance_uuid>