In OpenStack, instances may be provisioned with either an ephemeral storage or persistent (volume) storage. How can the two be differentiated and filtered accordingly among currently-provisioned instances within a Platform9 Managed OpenStack environment?
- Platform9 Managed OpenStack - All Versions
- In Clarity UI, navigate to the Instances tab.
- Ensure that "attached volumes" is shown as an active column. If not, click on the cog icon and add it to the active columns.
- Inspect the instances view. Boot from volume instances will show an attached volume, whereas ephemeral instances will not.
- Query the list of instances, (optionally) filtered by host – selecting any where the "Image" value is populated, indicating they are ephemeral and not boot from volume.
openstack server list --all-projects --host=<HOST_UUID> -f json | jq -r '. | select(.Image != "").ID'
Note: To select boot from volume instances, change '!=' to '==' and the opposite results would be shown.